Pierce County – Enforcement Officers Kraig Seltzer and Officer Raj Veluppillai of the Washington State Liquor and Cannabis Board (WSLCB) partnered with officers from the Tacoma Pierce County DUI and Traffic Safety Task Force to conduct premise visits and DUI emphasis patrols in Pierce county as part of the Home Safe Bar program. Officers, as well as family members who have lost a loved one to drunk driving, visited area bars to raise awareness about over-service among servers and bartenders. They also provided customers with phone numbers for taxis.
The Tacoma Pierce County DUI and Traffic Safety Task Force is comprised of 24 member agencies and is funded by the Washington Traffic Safety Commission and local law enforcement agencies. The task force is administered by Pierce County Community Connections. Participating agencies include the police departments of Fircrest, DuPont, University Place, Puyallup, Tacoma, Gig Harbor, Sumner, Bonney and Fife, as well as the Pierce County Sheriff’s Office and Washington State Patrol.
- Eight liquor licensed premises checked:
- 14 Identification checks for potential under 21 liquor service to minors
- Two customers were cut off for over service
- One verbal warning for inadequate lighting
- One minor cited for using a fraudulent Oregon ID
- 16 drivers were arrested for DUI by the participating agencies
The mission of the Washington State Liquor and Cannabis Board is to promote public safety and trust through fair administration and enforcement of liquor, tobacco and marijuana laws.