Apply for an Out-of-State Non-Retail License

If your business deals with the importation, manufacture, distribution or sale of alcohol in Washington State, you need a liquor license.

A liquor license is an endorsement on your state Business License issued by the Department of Revenue (DOR) Business Licensing Service. You must complete the Business License Application even if you already have a Business License, along with a Liquor and Cannabis Board Addendum.

After you submit your application, the Washington State Liquor and Cannabis Board (WSLCB) will take you through the licensing process and ultimately decide whether to approve or deny your application.

A routine application process for out-of-state non-retail licenses takes 30 to 45 days.

  1. Complete application
    • Figure out what type of liquor license you need:
    • Visit and go to the liquor licenses section to fill out:
      • A Business License Application
      • A Liquor and Cannabis Board Non-retail Addendum
      • A U.S. Department of Treasury Alcohol Dealer Registration
        • Please mail this form to the U.S. Department of Treasury Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau at the address listed on the form
    • You may need additional local, state and federal licenses for your business that are not covered under the Business License Application. For more information on licensing requirements for your business, contact the Department of Revenue, Business Licensing Service at 1-800-451-7985 or
  2. Submit your application and fees
    • When you apply, the application must be complete and all fees paid or it cannot be processed.
      • You have three options for submitting your application and fees:
      • Please make your check or money order payable to: Department of Revenue. $75 of the liquor licensing fee is non-refundable in most cases.
    • Gather needed records and complete required Liquor and Cannabis Board forms
      • Non-Retail Tied House Statement
      • Addendum – Beer and Wine Tax Payment and Reports
      • Compliance Agent Authorization Form
      • A copy of your TTB Permit
        • Breweries - Brewers Notice
        • Wineries - Wine Producer and Blender Basic Permit
        • Brand owners - Wine and/or Malt Beverage Wholesalers Permit
        • If your permit is in the process of being revised (i.e., for change of ownership), enclose a copy of the revision application along with a copy of your most recent permit.
      • A copy of your license from the state where your business is located
      • A copy of TTB Label Approvals
        • If the copies of the labels on the TTB Label Approval aren’t legible please submit actual samples of the labels
        • All wine labels must have a "bottled by" statement on them (required by RCW 66-28-110 and WAC 314-24-090)
        • In lieu of the words "bottled by," the words "manufactured and bottled by" or “produced and bottled by” are acceptable
      • A copy of the letter appointing a Washington distributor
        • For example, a list of licensed Washington importer/distributors to whom you plan to sell your products
        • Provide the license number of the importer/distributor you are appointing
        • It is not necessary to designate specific areas or products for each distributor
      • Brand Owners only: A letter from the producing brewery or winery stating you are the brand owner
      • Authorized Representatives of foreign products only: Appointment letters from the foreign breweries or wineries stating that you are the U.S. importer of their products
      • Winery Shipper to Consumer only: Label approvals and distributor appointments are not required.
    • Mail records and completed forms to:
      • Washington State Liquor and Cannabis Board
        Licensing and Regulation – MIW
        P.O. Box 43098
        Olympia, WA 98504-3098
    • WSLCB approves or denies application
      Using the information gathered during the application process, the WSLCB will either approve or deny your liquor license application.

If the WSLCB approves your liquor license application, you will receive an approval letter that serves as your 30-day liquor license until you receive your Business License with the liquor endorsement from the DOR Business Licensing Service.

If your application is denied, you can either:

  • Accept the decision and reapply in a year, or
  • Request an administrative hearing
Printer-friendly version