Interpretive Statements do not have the force and effect of law. They are explanatory documents intended to convey the Washington State Liquor and Cannabis Board’s interpretation of law and regulation as it existed at the time the statement is issued. Current interpretive statements are advisory only.
Agencies are encouraged to advise the public of its current opinions, approaches, and likely courses of action by means of interpretive statements as described in RCW 34.05.230. Whenever an agency issues an interpretive or policy statement, it must submit a statement to the Washington State Code Reviser that describes the subject matter of the interpretive statement and includes the name of the person from whom a copy of the interpretive statement can be obtained. WSLCB has the discretion to amend, rescind or convert an interpretive statement.
Interested in asking that the agency convert an interpretive statement into rule? Please submit a petition to request conversion to InterpretiveStatement@lcb.wa.gov. Upon submission, the WSLCB will contact the Joint Administrative Rules Review Committee (JAARC) that the petition has been received. Within sixty days, WSLCB will make a decision about whether or not to initiate rule-making. If you do not agree with WSLCB’s decision, you may contact JAARC directly for next steps.
Don’t agree with a WSLCB interpretive statement? You can petition JAARC directly and ask for review consistent with the requirements of RCW 34.05.655.
Current Interpretive Statements:
(Listing these as they are filed with the Code Reviser)
- Interpretive Statement Number IS23-01 – Measuring Cannabis Plant Canopy (Effective April 7, 2023)
- Interpretive Statement Number IS22-01 – Use of Additives in Authorized Cannabis Products (Effective November 9, 2022)
- Interpretive Statement Number IS21-03 – 401K, Individual Retirement Account (IRA), and Trusts as True Parties of Interest in Liquor Licenses (Effective October 6, 2021)
- Interpretive Statement Number IS21-02 – Allowable Practices for a Holder of a Cannabis Processor License (Effective July 22, 2021)
- Interpretive Statement Number IS21-01 – CBD Retail Sales in Licensed I-502 Stores (Effective January 26, 2021)