FAQs for Mandatory Alcohol Server Training (MAST)

When do I need to have a MAST permit?
A MAST permit is required within 60 days of the initial hire for servers, bartenders and managers working at on-premises liquor licensed establishments. If you are conducting alcohol samplings or tastings at an approved location, you must hold a Class 12 permit and be able to present it upon inspection. There is no grace period allowed for people conducting alcohol tastings to obtain a MAST permit.

How long is an alcohol server permit good for?
Permits are good for five years, and will expire on the first day of the month following the month you took your test. For example, if you took the test on October 20, 2020, your permit will expire on November 1, 2025.

How much does it cost to get a MAST permit?
MAST is provided by WSLCB-certified private course providers. The WSLCB does not regulate the cost of classes and costs vary from provider to provider. 

What’s the MAST course length?
MAST covers 12 core topics that include liquor laws and intervention skills such as ID checking exercises and how to refuse sales when needed.  Your class length will be a minimum of three hours with an exam afterwards. If you take the course online, you do not have to complete the course in one sitting. You may log out, return and pick up where you left off. Please check your course enrolment agreement for details.

Can I get a temporary permit?
No. There is no temporary permit. If you are a server, bartender or a manager of an on-premises location, you have 60 days to obtain a permit after your initial hire date. Your provider will mail you the permit within 30 days of the course completion.

Can my permit be emailed or faxed?
No. At this time, your course provider is required to print and mail the permit to you within 30 days of the course completion. Most providers mail the permit within a few days of the course completion. Please contact your provider if you wish to expedite the mailing. 

How can I replace a lost permit? 
Your course provider or WSLCB can replace your permit as long as it is still valid. Please check the MAST Permit Checker for validity first. If your permit is valid, please contact your provider or send a completed Application to Replace MAST Permit to the WSLCB. You will receive your permit in the mail. Replacement permits will have the original expiration date.

How can I change my name or gender on my MAST permit?
You can change your name or gender on your permit by contacting your course provider, or by sending the Application to Replace MAST Permit to WSLCB. You do not need to send a copy of a marriage certificate or other paperwork verifying the change of information. Please keep in mind, your name and identification verifying information on your permit must match the information presented in your official identification.    

Can I pay online or over the phone for a permit replacement?
At this time, the WSLCB does not accept online payments, but the provider who issued your permit may accept online or phone payments. Please contact your provider for more information.

What if I do not know who my course provider was?
You may check the MAST Permit Checker or contact the WSLCB at mast@lcb.wa.gov or (360) 664-1727 or (360) 664-1728.

What if I don’t see my permit information on the MAST Permit Checker?
If you believe your permit is still valid but do not see it on the MAST permit database, please contact the WSLCB at mast@lcb.wa.gov or (360) 664-1727 or (360) 664-1728.

Can I get a replacement permit in person?
Yes, however, we ask that you make an appointment by calling the program specialist at 360-664-1727. Due to teleworking, our staff time in the office may vary. We can only accept a $5.00 check or money order made out to the WSLCB, or cash; no debit or credit cards. 

Why am I required to provide my Social Security Number (SSN)?
RCW 26.23.150 requires that the WSLCB obtain a SSN for each MAST permit holder in order to assist in child support enforcement as required by state and federal law. To issue you a MAST permit, your provider needs to obtain your SSN. If you have any questions or concerns with this requirement, please contact the WSLCB at (360) 664-1727 or (360) 664-1728.

What if I do not have a SSN?
If you do not have a SSN due to your resident status in the U.S., tell your trainer or provider prior to registering for the course.

What is the DSHS-Order of MAST Permit Suspension?
In accordance with RCW 74.20A.320, the Washington State Department of Social and Health Services’ (DSHS) Division of Child Support (DCS) certifies and requires the WSLCB to suspend or cancel the MAST permits of non-custodial parents who are at least six months in arrears on child support payments. Anyone with delinquent child support payments for more than six months may have their MAST permit suspended until the matter is resolved with DSHS.

What are the penalties for working without a valid MAST permit?
Anyone not possessing the required MAST permit within the allotted timeline may receive a criminal citation with a maximum $500 monetary penalty, up to 90 days in jail, or both the fine and imprisonment. Your employer may also incur a monetary fine or license suspension or both.    

Printer-friendly version