Effective Until: January 1, 2022
Applies To: Minor restricted liquor licensee
In order to support licensees during the COVID-19 pandemic, the LCB will allow minor restricted liquor establishments to hire persons aged 18-20 for limited job duties. This temporary allowance is to accommodate liquor establishments experiencing workforce shortages. In order to take advantage of this allowance, the following parameters must be followed:
- The employee is at least eighteen years of age;
- The employee holds a position that is not directly involved in the sale or service of alcohol (such as washing dishes, cooking or cleaning);
- The employee does not perform work in the bar, lounge or dining areas;
- The employee does not serve food, drinks or interact with guests;
- The employee is not in possession of alcohol during any time; and
A supervisor who is at least 21 years of age is present at all times.
The LCB is temporarily relaxing enforcement practices regarding the prohibition of minors being present in minor restricted establishments under specific, limited circumstances. The LCB has temporarily allowed minor restricted liquor establishments classified as "off limits to persons under the age of 21" to be temporarily declassified as “age restricted” for specific areas (such as the kitchen area) within the licensed premises. This declassification allows minor restricted liquor establishments to declassify limited areas for the sole purpose of employing persons aged 18-20 for limited job duties as described above.