September 5, 2008
TACOMA - On August 22, 11 businesses in Tacoma failed liquor compliance checks conducted as part of a joint enforcement effort by the Washington State Liquor Control Board and the Tacoma Police Department. Officers checked 49 businesses during the operation.
The 11 businesses were cited for selling alcohol to investigative aides working with police and liquor enforcement officers.
The Washington State Liquor Control Board and local authorities regularly conduct compliance checks of area businesses licensed to sell alcohol. These businesses include spirits, beer and wine restaurants, grocery stores, neighborhood markets, taverns, wine bars and sports/entertainment facilities. Compliance checks are proven tools to reduce the sale of alcohol to minors.
Liquor enforcement officers conduct compliance checks assisted by investigative aides. These individuals are from 17 to 20 years old. They must present their true identification if asked by a clerk. However, they may attempt to be evasive if asked their age but not asked for their I.D.
Liquor enforcement officers are empowered to issue Administrative Violation Notices to businesses that fail compliance checks. Fines or temporary license suspensions can be issued depending on the severity of the infraction or the frequency with which a business has been cited. Clerks who sell can also receive a criminal citation.
Businesses who sold to a minor on August 22:
- Peter's Grocery, 1307 S. 38th St.
- EZ Mart, 3402 Pacific Ave.
- Center Street Deli Mart, 3807 S. Center St.
- 7-12 Grocery, 4002 S. Center St.
- Royal 76, 5015 Center St. (The business will receive an Administrative Violation Notice for allowing a 14-year old to sell beer and wine)
- KSP Chevron, 4814 S. Center St.
- Circle K Store, #8795, 4704 S. Oaks
- 7-Eleven, 4701 S. Oakes St.
- North China Garden, 2303 6th Ave.
- Club Silverstone, 739 1/2 St. Helens Ave.
- Main Street Grocery, 901 Martin Luther King Jr. Way
Businesses who did not sell alcohol to a minor on August 22:
- Bob's Grocery, 5403 S. M. St.
- Big Willy's Market, 4302 S. M. St.
- Zip Mart, 522 38th St S.
- Sami's Shell, 3740 Pacific Ave.
- Arco AM/PM Mini Market, 3601 Center St.
- Verma Fircrest Shell, 4211 S. Center St.
- Rudy's Restaurant & Lounge, 6324 McKinley Ave.
- Station 56, 5602 S. Washington St.
- Cloverleaf, 6430 6th Ave.
- 6th Ave. Sports Bar & Grill, 6108 6th Ave.
- AM/PM #05529, 1101 N. Pearl
- Saar's Market Place, 1015 N. Pearl St.
- Joeseppi's Italian Ristorante, 2207 N. Pearl St.
- Albertsons #463, 2401 Pearl St. N.
- El Toro #11, 5716 N. 26th St.
- Round Table Pizza, 2601 N. Pearl St.
- Safeway Store #1978, 2637 N. Pearl St.
- Pearl Deli & Grocery, 3701 N. Pearl St.
- Four Queens Gas Mart, 4602 N. Pearl St.
- Circle K/76 #2705529, 2602 N. Pearl St.
- Stop In Grocery, 3908 6th Ave.
- Farrelli's Wood Fire Pizza, 3518 6th Ave.
- Cork! A Wine Bar, 3012 6th Ave.
- Neighborhood Market, 3002 6th Ave.
- Primo Grill, 601 S. Pine St, Suite 102
- Masa, 2811 6th Ave.
- Sixth Olives, 2708 6th Ave.
- Crown Bar, 2705 6th Ave.
- Gateway to India, 2603 6th Ave.
- Maxwell's, 444 St. Helens Ave.
- Malarkey's Pool & Brew, 445 Tacoma Ave. S.
- Mix, 635 St. Helens Ave.
- Juno Bar & Grill, 933 A. Market St.
- Tempest Lounge, 913 Martin Luther King Jr. Way
- The Monsoon Room, 1022 S. St.
- Stop N Mart, 1501 Martin Luther King Jr. Way
- 76 Food Mart, 1901 Martin Luther King Way S.
- Speed E Mart, 1101 S. 19th St.