For Immediate Release May 17, 2012
OLYMPIA, WASH. – The Washington State Liquor Control Board (WSLCB) will shut-down 11 additional state liquor stores statewide, and reduce hours at one location, on May 22, 2012 to compensate for store employees leaving for new jobs. The WSLCB analyzed market-areas where closings would occur.
“We needed to make this move to mitigate the effects of employee attrition. By closing these stores we can continue to minimize disruptions in our service areas,” said Retail Director Chris Liu. “Staffing levels were always going to be an issue as we drew nearer to June 1, it’s not unexpected.”
In making the decision to close these specific locations, staff considered the proximity of other stores, as well as those other store’s capability to meet the increased customer base.
“Again the issue is how to best re-appropriate staff while at the same time maintaining service to our valued customers, it’s a delicate balancing act,” said Liu. “In the end we feel this action is the best way to achieve that balance.”
Closing the additional 11 locations will free up approximately 55-60 experienced employees to fill-in the gaps at other stores. The complete list of store closures is as follows:
Store - Name, Address and Phone Number:
- 012 - Wenatchee, 907 N. Wenatchee Ave, (509) 663-9688
- 014 - Port Angeles, 1331 E. Front Street, (360) 417-1441
- 046 - Seattle, 2300 7th Ave Ste A, (206) 389-2400
- 118 - Rainier Beach (Seattle), 9258 Rainier Ave S,. (206) 721-4175
- 123 - Bellingham North, 101 Stuart Road, (360) 738-6105
- 126 - Bremerton, 1550 NE Riddell Rd Ste Q, (360) 373-6816
- 130 - Bellingham Lakeway, 1022 Lakeway Dr., (360) 676-2159
- 152 - Burlington, 914 Burlington Blvd,(360) 707-0313
- 157 - Burien, 15858 1st Ave S. #A101, (206) 439-3828
- 181 - Spokane, 3017 S. Grand Blvd, (509) 458-2030
- 186 - Spokane/Wellesley, 2401 W. Wellesley Ave, (509) 568-3082
Operating at reduced hours:
- 095 - Bainbridge Island, 363 Tormey Lane NE, (206) 842-5221
Licensees serviced by the closing locations have been notified and can have their orders filled at nearby locations. Since March 1, 2012 licensees have had the ability to purchase product directly from distributors in advance of June 1, 2012, the first day of private liquor sales.
For a complete listing of state-owned liquor stores and their locations, please visit: lcb.wa.gov/stores/find-store