January 28, 2009
OLYMPIA - On January 16, 18 Auburn businesses failed liquor compliance checks conducted as part of a joint enforcement effort by the Washington State Liquor Control Board (WSLCB) and the Auburn Police Department. Officers checked 27 Auburn businesses for sales/service of alcohol to minors.
The 18 businesses were cited for selling alcohol to investigative aides working with police and liquor enforcement officers. The businesses were issued the citations on January 23 and 24.
The WSLCB and local authorities regularly conduct compliance checks of area businesses licensed to sell alcohol. These businesses include spirits, beer and wine restaurants, grocery stores, neighborhood markets, taverns, wine bars and sports/entertainment facilities. Compliance checks are proven tools to reduce the sale of alcohol to minors.
Liquor enforcement officers conduct compliance checks assisted by investigative aides. These individuals are from 17 to 20 years old. They must present their true identification if asked by a clerk. However, they may attempt to be evasive if asked their age but not asked for their I.D.
Liquor enforcement officers are empowered to issue Administrative Violation Notices to businesses that fail compliance checks. Fines or temporary license suspensions can be issued depending on the severity of the infraction or the frequency with which a business has been cited. Clerks who sell can also receive a criminal citation. Liquor enforcement officers review the past two years when determining fines or license suspensions.
Businesses that sold alcohol to a minor on January 16:
- 7-Eleven 2303-23938D, 4026 A St. SE
- Applebee's Neighborhood Grill & Bar, 1441 D St. NE
- Auburn Valley Chevron, 1156 Auburn Way S
- B B Magraw's, 440 16th Ave. NE
- Belmar Wholesale, 1807 Howard Rd.
- China House, 620 Auburn Way S, Ste D
- Day & Night Grocery, 3235 Auburn Way S
- Denny's, 521 Auburn Way S
- Farmers Dollar Market, 1007 Auburn Way S
- Jack's, 2425 Auburn Way N
- Longhorn Barbecue Auburn, 635 C St. SW
- Los Cabos Auburn, 1316 SuperMall Way
- Mac's Mart & Deli Grocery, 4220 A St. SE
- Mazatlan Restaurant No.1, 110 Cross St. SE
- Round Table Pizza, 3960 A St. SE
- Sports Page, 2802 Auburn Way N
- The Pit Restaurant & Bar, 102 W Main
- West Main Short Stop, 210 Main St. W
Businesses that did not sell alcohol to a minor on January 16:
- Auburn Way Shell Food Mart, 201 Auburn Way S
- Chevron Station No. 1101, 1501 Auburn Way N
- Circle K/76 No. 2705928, 601 Auburn Way S
- Home Plate Pub, 144 E Main St.
- Performance Grill, 1525 A St. NE, Ste 110
- Quality Food Center/QFC No. 862, 2902 Auburn Way S
- Red Robin America's Gourmet Burgers & Spirits, 1002 SuperMall Way
- Rite Aid No. 5172, 1509 Auburn Way S
- The Spunky Monkey Bar & Grill, 124 2nd St. SE