Feb 25, 2010
OLYMPIA - On February 19, nine Tacoma businesses failed liquor compliance checks conducted by the Washington State Liquor Control Board (WSLCB) and the Tacoma Police Department. Two teams of officers checked 44 businesses for sales/service of alcohol to minors.
The nine businesses were cited for selling alcohol to investigative aides working with liquor enforcement officers.
The WSLCB and local authorities regularly conduct compliance checks of area businesses licensed to sell alcohol. These businesses include spirits, beer and wine restaurants, grocery stores, state and contract liquor stores, neighborhood markets, taverns, wine bars and sports/entertainment facilities. Compliance checks are proven tools to reduce the sale of alcohol to minors.
Liquor enforcement officers conduct compliance checks assisted by investigative aides. These individuals are from 18 to 20 years old. They must present their true identification if asked by a clerk. However, they may attempt to be evasive if asked their age but not asked for identification.
Liquor enforcement officers are empowered to issue Administrative Violation Notices to businesses that fail compliance checks. Fines or temporary license suspensions can be issued depending on the severity of the infraction or the frequency with which a business has been cited. Clerks who sell can also receive a criminal citation. Liquor enforcement officers review the past two years when determining fines or license suspensions.
Businesses that sold alcohol to a minor:
- Park Avenue Foods, 7214 Park Ave.
- Royal 76, 5015 Center St.
- 7-12 Grocery, 4002 S. Center St.
- AM/PM Mini Mart No. 5911, 3601 Center St.
- Hosmer 76 & Car Wash, 8235 S. Hosmer St.
- 7-Eleven Food Store No. 26857, 3115 Sixth Ave.
- Doyle's Public House, 208 St. Helens
- Main Street Grocery, 901 Martin Luther King Jr. Way
- Pearl Deli & Grocery, 3701 N. Pearl St.
Businesses that did not sell alcohol to a minor:
- Washington State Liquor Store No. 161, 3840 Pacific Ave. Suite 102
- Washington State Liquor Store No. 122, 7048 Pacific Ave.
- Washington State Liquor Store No. 84, 1415 E. 72nd St. Suite B
- Tienda Taqueria Mini Market, 4314 Portland Ave. No. 8
- P&J Deli Mart, 3535 Portland Ave.
- Min Grocery, 3124 E. Portland Ave.
- J J's Deli & Grocery & Coin Laundry, 3419 McKinley Ave.
- 7-Eleven Store 2303-14457D, 3848 McKinley Ave.
- El Compadre, 4002 McKinley Ave. Suite A
- Country Boy Market, 5522 McKinley Ave. E.
- La Huerta International Market No. 2, Inc, 5605 A Pacific Ave.
- La Surtidora Mexican Grocery Store, 5423 Pacific Ave.
- Lively Market & Deli, 4502 Pacific Ave.
- Pee Wee Tavern, 7052 Pacific Ave.
- Smoke & Beer Plus, 7044 Pacific Ave. Suite B
- 72nd Deli Market, 716 72nd St. S.
- AM/PM Mini Mart No. 5229, 5433 S. Orchard St.
- Center St Chevron, 4814 S. Center St.
- Verma Fircrest Shell, 4211 S. Center St.
- Center Street Deli Mart, 3807 S. Center St.
- 54th Sports Bar, 5415 S. Tacoma Way
- Latitude 84, 8401 S. Hosmer
- Washington State Liquor Store No. 63, 2627 N. Pearl St.
- Washington State Liquor Store No. 105, 2805 Sixth Ave.
- 6th Ave Food Market, 7008 Sixth Ave.
- Can, 100 S. Ninth St.
- Chopstix, 2702 Sixth Ave.
- Handy Mart Grocery-Deli, 402 Tacoma Ave S
- I Love Bento, 1620 S Mildred Ste 1
- King's Deli & Grocery, 326 Tacoma Ave S
- Masa, 2811 6th Ave
- Pop's Deli Mart, 7202 6th Ave
- Stop N Mart, 1501 Martin Luther King Jr Way
- T C Deli & Grocery, 6701 S 12th St
- Taggers Mini Mart, 6615 S 12th St
- 30 -