The Washington State Liquor and Cannabis Board (WSLCB) is a quasi-judicial body consisting of a three-member Board. One of the Board’s responsibilities includes adjudication of contested licensing and administrative violations.
When the formal adjudicative process begins, the matter will be heard in front of an Administrative Law Judge (ALJ) at the Office of Administrative Hearings.
The ALJ will eventually issue an order on the case that affirms, reverses, or sets aside the original agency action regarding the alleged violation. If any party takes exception to the ALJ’s order, they may file a Petition for Review and/or a Response to Petition for Review to the Board.
The three Board members will review the entire administrative record, and will make a final determination on the case.
The Board will issue a Final Order which is appealable to Superior Court.
Other adjudicative proceedings the Board considers include, but are not limited to:
Proposed Compromise Agreements negotiated by the WSLCB Hearing Examiner pertaining to;
- All subsequent Administrative Violation Notices (AVN’s)
All first time cannabis AVN’s
- Stipulated Settlement Agreements and Proposed Final Orders negotiated and drafted by the Office of the Attorney General
- Emergency Adjudicative Proceedings / Summary Suspensions
- Administrative Review of Brief Adjudicative Proceedings
Retail Cigarette, Tobacco and Vapor Product Threshold Decisions from the Enforcement and Education division pertaining to;
- License / Endorsement Applications
Threshold Decisions from the Licensing division pertaining to;
- License Revocation / Cancellation
- License Applications
- License Suspension
- Local Authority Objections