Types of Products

Cannabis can be consumed, inhaled, or applied to the skin. The method of use and THC content will have an impact on how soon and how intensely effects will be felt and how long they will last. Washington laws define possession and purchase limits for cannabis products. These limits are in the “Know the Laws” section.  

Inhaled products
Plant matter and cannabis concentrates that are inhaled either as a cigarette-like product or concentrate product. These include:

  • Loose flower - Rolled into a cigarette-like shape (joint), placed into an emptied cigar (blunt), or put in a pipe or water pipe (bowl or bong). Can also be used in a dried flower vaping device.
  • “Pre-roll” – Loose flower already rolled into a cigarette-like shape using rolling papers. A cannabis concentrate is sometimes added to a pre-roll, significantly increasing the THC content.
  • Concentrates – Placed in and inhaled from a smoking or vaping device, they vary in how they are produced and their THC concentration.
    • Cartridges for vaping cannabis oils – A recent study , says the most popular way of using concentrates in Washington is using a vape pen. Vape pens are portable vaporizers that use pre-filled cannabis oil cartridges. Cannabis vape cartridges typically contain concentrated THC and other components of the plant, solvents used as thinning agents, and flavoring additives. Some products have been found to also contain heavy metal. Most pens use disposable cartridges that can be replaced when empty. 
    • Products known as concentrates include kief, hash (hashish), dabs, shatter, wax, and budder. Kief and hash are produced with little to no solvents and typically average 30-60% THC, while other concentrates have a higher average THC concentration (60-90%). (See Consumer Safety section.)

Consumable/ingestible products
Cannabis oils, extracts, or plant matter combined with various food products for ingestion. These are produced in various forms:

  • Edibles – Cannabis-infused food and cannabis-infused beverages.
  • Capsules and tablets.
  • Tinctures – Cannabis-infused liquids that are placed under the tongue with a dropper or syringe.

Applied to the skin and include lotions, ointments, balms, transdermal patches, and suppositories. Topicals that do not include THC (cannabis health and beauty aids, or CHABA) are governed by different laws and can be sold in stores that are not licensed cannabis stores. (See “Know the Laws” section)


Printer-friendly version