Marijuana Compacts

Chapter 207, Laws of 2015 authorizes the Governor to enter into agreements with federally recognized Indian tribes located in Washington State concerning the commercial production, processing, and sale of marijuana. The Governor has delegated the negotiation authority for these Compacts to the Washington State Liquor and Cannabis Board.

For information about Marijuana Compacts, please contact WSLCB’s Tribal Liaison at or (360) 664-4548.

If your federally recognized Washington Tribe is interested in negotiating a compact with the WSLCB, the most current version of our Compact template (Updated July 2020) can be viewed here

For copies of specific compacts, please contact our Public Records Office at (360) 664-1769 or

Federally recognized Indian tribes who have a compact agreement with the State of Washington can also negotiate a Memorandum of Agreement (MOA) with the Washington State Department of Health (DOH). Tribes who plan on serving the cannabis patient community will need an MOA with DOH to access and enter information into the Medical Marijuana Authorization Database.

For more information about these MOAs, please send an email to or call (360) 236-4819.

An example of a typical workflow for negotiating and completing a Mariijuana Compact and MOA can be viewed here.


Printer-friendly version