



Board Caucus Meeting

Tuesday, November 16, 2021, 10:00am
This meeting was held via web conference

Meeting Minutes

CAUCUS ATTENDEES

Chair David Postman
Member Ollie Garrett
Member Russ Hauge
Dustin Dickson, Executive Assistant

GUESTS

Nicola Reid, Compliance and Adjudications Manager

APPROVAL OF MEETING MINUTES

MOTION: Member Garrett moved to approve the September 8, 2021, Executive Management Team meeting minutes

SECOND: Chair Postman seconded.

ACTION: Chair Postman approved the motion.

MOTION: Member Hauge moved to approve the November 9, 2021, Board caucus minutes

SECOND: Member Garrett seconded.

ACTION: Chair Postman approved the motion.

REVIEW OF TRIBAL NOTIFICATION PROCESS – NICOLA

Nicola gave a presentation regarding Tribal notification processes regarding liquor license applications, specifically in and around the Yakama Tribal Land ([PRESENTATION 1](#)).

Chair Postman: I appreciate the briefing I received earlier, thank you. So, if we delegate this back to Licensing, that would be more in line with standard operating procedures, correct? The piece of this that came before the Board previously was an exception to the system as a whole, is that right?

Nicola Reid: Yes, bringing it back to Licensing would keep it aligned with all other decisions on applications, especially because ultimately the Board does make the final decision. It would keep the process – if an appeal were to come in, or anything like that – a little cleaner.

Chair Postman: That's true. And the other thing, I had asked – was there any reasoning for the change back when it happened, and we don't really have any record of that other than somebody saying "from here on in we're going to do it a different way", right?

Ms. Reid: There was just one email from a Licensing manager to staff updating them that the Board would be taking over the reviews. It was around the time of initial cannabis legislation, so I don't know if it had anything to do with that – cannabis licenses applying to be on Tribal land – I'm not sure if any of that tied together or if the Board at that time just thought it would be in the best interest for them to review.

Chair Postman: Member Hauge or Garrett, any thoughts or questions?

Member Hauge: I have no questions. We got fully briefed on this and I appreciate the work.

Member Garrett: No questions.

MOTION: Member Garrett moved to memo delegating the authority to Licensing as described by Ms. Nicola Reid

SECOND: Member Hauge seconded.

ACTION: Chair Postman approved the motion.

Chair Postman: Thank you, Ms. Reid. We appreciate it.

Ms. Reid: Thank you for your time this morning.

BOARD MEMBER AND EXECUTIVE ASSISTANT REPORTS

Chair Postman: Members, I think we should talk about next week. We don't have a Board meeting scheduled on the 24th, so the question is should we have the Caucus on the 23rd. I will be on a plane, so I would not be able to join, so it'll be up to you if you want to meet.

Member Garrett: I'm okay with not holding the meeting.

Member Hauge: I'm okay with it as well. I think getting the legislative package review was the big lift this month, and I just had my briefing and am happy with the way things are shaping up.

Chair Postman: Good. Well, then I think we won't have Caucus or the Board meeting next week. I suppose by the next week the legislation will have been submitted to the Governor's Office for review, would be my guess at that point. I did see in my inbox that we were still getting feedback today, so I know they are still listening.

With that, I think that was our last item to cover...

Member Hauge: I wanted to make note that I did just have my meeting with Justin Nordhorn, Chris Thompson and Bruce Turcott about the legislative package. The only comment that I made – a request – that the approach be fine-tuned, is this...

In the materials I reviewed, the practice of creating delta-9 THC from hemp-derived CBD is addressed. My suggestion, though, is that that process needs to be explained carefully before a non-sophisticated person can understand what is going on. It takes a while to figure out that if we open up this hose of unregulated hemp in to the cannabis market, we are going to obviate the need for farmers – or considerably cut back. And, we will also blow up the canopy, because there is no way to correspond or figure out corresponding values of CBD and growing plants.

That was my only suggestion, that we spend some time really explaining that, because it's a difficult concept to get.

Chair Postman: I'm glad you raised that. My understanding is that – the way it is written, would be to say – the only thing of that sort would only be allowed by approval of the Board. One of my concerns – when you say “sophisticated actors outside our building” – the most sophisticated actors are the ones out there coming up with these compounds, and we're sort of running behind them learning how to do it. So, one of the questions I have is: what is our process for determining the safety of any conversion or product.

Member Hauge: Yes. As it was explained to me – and Justin was very explicit on this point – that the Board will not have the authority under the proposed legislation to approve the introduction of hemp-derived THC into the system. Hemp-derived products – primarily CBD – can only be used in accordance with the original intent of the legislation, and that is as an enhancement to a psychoactive compound containing THC, and that is going to continue. So, we will not have to face that question, at least this is as it was explained to me, of making a judgement call as to whether to open up this hose or not. It is going to be limited – CBD derived from hemp, or anything derived from hemp – is going to be limited to non-psychoactive materials.

Chair Postman: Well, I just got back in town and so I'm going to have to check on that, because I have to say that isn't my understanding of the ultimate piece. I'll follow up on that today.

Member Hauge: I had the same question when it was first presented, and that was the answer I got. If that's not the answer, that I'm comfortable with, then I don't want the Board to be in the position of having to decide whether a whole sector our license holders is going to have an economically viable pathway.

Chair Postman: And, where would that scientific knowledge come into the process to make that determination. That was my big question. So, it's been a work in progress, let me follow up and I'll make sure that somebody lets all of us know what the final product looks like.

Member Garrett: My briefing with them is after this meeting, so I haven't heard this yet.

Chair Postman: Okay, I'm sorry. I'll be interested to hear what you are told. I'll reach out to Justin and get some clarification and have him let you know.

Member Hauge: Okay, thank you.

Member Garrett: Thank you. And, I'll be on a Social Equity in Cannabis Task Force meeting today from 4:00 – to 7:00pm.

Member Hauge: Doing the Lord's work, Ollie, thank you.

Chair Postman: I appreciate you putting all the time you have put in. It must be getting close, right?

Member Garrett: It's getting close, yes.

Chair Postman: Great. I'm glad we had that conversation. Let me see what I can find out and we'll make sure staff gets in touch. If I don't talk to you, have a great holiday.

Member Hauge: We'll see you this afternoon.

Member Garrett: Yes, at litigation review.

Chair Postman: See you then, we'll now adjourn this meeting.

Meeting adjourned at 10:13a.

Minutes approved this 7th day of December, 2021.



David Postman
Board Chair



Ollie Garrett
Board Member



Russ Hauge
Board Member

Minutes Prepared by: Dustin Dickson, Executive Assistant to the Board