



Executive Management Team Meeting

Wednesday, November 10, 2021, 1:30pm

This Meeting was Convened via Conference Call

Meeting Minutes

EMT ATTENDEES

Chair David Postman
Member Ollie Garrett (*excused*)
Member Russ Hauge
Rick Garza, Director
Toni Hood, Deputy Director
Chandra Brady, Director of Enforcement and Education
Brian Smith, Communications Director
Becky Smith, Licensing & Regulation Director (*excused*)
Chris Thompson, Director of Legislative Relations
Gretchen Frost, Special Assistant to the Director
Dustin Dickson, Executive Assistant to the Board

GUESTS

Jim Morgan, Chief Financial Officer

APPROVAL OF MEETING MINUTES

Chair Postman informed that the consideration of the September 8, 2021, EMT meeting minutes would need to be postponed.

MOTION: Member Hauge moved to approve the October 13, 2021, EMT meeting minutes.

SECOND: Chair Postman seconded.

ACTION: Chair Postman approved the motion.

TRACEABILITY UPDATE (CCRS) – JIM

Jim Morgan: Hello. Thank you. I'm glad to be here and I'm glad to be able to share our progress on this very important project. In a nutshell we are moving right along and on track for our scheduled deployment. I'll go into a little bit more detail on that for you.

Our go-live date is on the calendar for December 6th and we are making preparations for that and our preparations have us on track for that. As a steering committee we have a no-go decision point on

November 17. At this point all signs are pointing to that being a go, but that is a week out so we'll make that decision based on the best information at the time. As I said, all systems are go.

We completed our month-long industry testing period in the month of October. We completed that last Thursday, I believe. Very good participation throughout the industry: Licensees, integrators, labs. That process, by design, pointed out a number of issues that have all been addressed, so that process would work as designed. We continue to keep our finger on the pulse of the industry.

I was able to meet last week with WACA (Washington Cannabusiness Association) at their conference. I shared our progress with them and they are by and large very favorable of what we're doing and where we are in that process. I believe last time I shared some concerns that came from the industry of the fact that we are taking ourselves out of business transactions between licensees and there were some concerns that were shared with us about the impact to licensees that that would create taking a now automated process and creating a manual process for them. My understanding is that there are people in the industry -- integrators that are working together to create an industry-led solution that will provide those business to business transactions and automate that. That issue as a risk has really subsided. It was not made a big point when I met -- I also met one-on-one with the WACA Board several weeks ago and heard some of their concerns -- and that as a broad concern has really subsided, so that's very positive.

There was another concern that they raised on the manifesting process and also the manual work that that would create. We as a steering committee and as a project team are evaluating some options for that. It's quite possible we're not going to be able to implement any kind of significant change before we go live, but we are evaluating solutions that will help resolve that issue. So, just to sum things up, we are on track. Things are looking good. Feedback we're getting from the industry is largely positive and I'll take questions if you have them.

Member Hauge: I don't have any questions. I really appreciate the update and the work that's gone into this. It's a big step for the agency and a step in the right direction.

Chair Postman: I would agree with that. I just wonder, have you heard from industry folks through this process about concerns that when we do go live that we'll be eagle-eyed looking for the first violation? Somebody mentioned this me the other day, like it's almost like a speed trap. Are we setting this up? Have you and is there anything we can do to assure people of our reasonableness on our expectation here?

Mr. Morgan: Yes. And I had a chance to address that. That was one of the questions that I took at the WACA Conference, and understandably there is anxiety about that. I assured them that our focus is on compliance and helping people become compliant. We're not going to be out there -- Chandra was on the same panel that I was. She had a different presentation, and she confirmed that we're not going to be out there with a heavy hand. As is consistent with our overall approach these days, we want to help people get where they need to be. I did have the opportunity to assure them that we're not going to be looking to put the hammer down if they're having a little trouble getting on board.

Chair Postman: It sounds like we may still be ironing some things out even after we go live. So we'll all need to be a little bit patient and flexible, I think.

Mr. Morgan: Right. And I think as most things it comes down to the nature of them not complying. If they're putting a good faith effort into trying to do what they need to do then that certainly is very helpful, is very much in their favor.

Member Hauge: I would just like to state for the record that the purpose for the traceability system as it is evolving, as I understand it, is not to create opportunities for us to enhance our revenue with violations. The idea is to provide a tool that allows the market to function and allows those of us charged with regulation to understand what's going on at the level of the dealer —or, the license holder, I'm sorry. For the record, I have no interest in seeing the first violation. What I hope to see is an explanation of the efforts that we've taken to make this transition smooth.

Chair Postman: Very well put. I totally agree. Frankly, that's how we've used traceability in my six, eight months here. We're not hearing cases where people are forgetting to fill in some square (on a form). And to what you were saying, Jim, if we have a case of bails moving out the backdoor somewhere, that's not about enforcing on our new CCRS. That's the work we do all the time. So I think we're all in agreement there and we may just have to reassure licensees more. As we go forward on that, there will be anxiety about all of these things, and that's understandable. I think Member Hauge put it just right.

Mr. Morgan: And I think you hit the nail on the head that our challenge and our effort will be on assuring the industry that our approach is to help them be in compliance and we're not out there to be punitive. I believe all of us here are on the same page and sometimes it still takes a little while to calm the fears of the industry and we'll make sure that we're focusing on that.

Chair Postman. Great. Okay. Thank you. Anything more?

Mr. Morgan: That's all I have. Thank you.

Chair Postman: Thanks so much. Keep up the good work.

Mr. Morgan: Thank you.

Chair Postman: We will move now to a legislative update from Chris Thompson. Chris.

LEGISLATIVE UPDATE – CHRIS

Chris Thompson: Good afternoon, Mr. Chairman, Board Member Hauge and colleagues. Good to be with you this afternoon. I will touch on a couple of topics briefly.

First of all, legislative presentations. We had the opportunity to present quite a lot of information to the House Commerce and Gaming Committee a few weeks back in late October. They asked us to cover a range of topics, and we ended up with half a dozen presenters. It was quite the production.

Gillian Schauer has consulted with us on a number of things and now works with CANNRA (Cannabis Regulators Association), the National Association of Regulators. She started off with a presentation she's done at CANNRA and elsewhere with the lay of the land with this issue around a novel appearance in marketplaces, regulated and otherwise of cannabinoids such as delta-8 and others. She does a really nice job of laying out this issue and brings a really deeply informed and national perspective. She has a PhD and a Master's in public health, and like I said, has consulted with us, so appeared in a way on our

behalf to give that lay of the land overview on a really critical issue followed by Justin, who brought that issue home to Washington State and discussed a little bit of what LCB has been doing and has been through over the past six, eight months or so on this, including now working a bit on a potential agency request legislative proposal.

Then I shared with the committee a little bit of the history around changing and refocusing enforcement efforts across the agency with particularly emphasis on actions the Board initiated. I talked about the rulemaking where we cut penalties in half, took a number of violations off the table in terms of any potential for licensed cancellation, a number of other changes there that were driven by and conducted by the Board. Also talked about the Director's office and a number of initiatives out of the Director's office to also move in this direction of a reset and a refocus where enforcement is primarily about education.

Following my piece, Chandra took the mic and shared a lot of good information and data about what's been going on with enforcement activity, not just this year, but going back, so that the committee had a chance to see data about before and after passage of that legislation that made a number of those changes around enforcement.

Kendra also provided an update on testing labs and Jim Morgan finished us out with traceability, CCRS progress report for the committee. Very well received. The Committee Chair unfortunately had to leave before, but she has since had a chance to view a recording of that, and Rick and I had a chance to emphasize some of those key points and answer her questions recently when we met directly with her. Fortunately, we also have an invitation from the Senate Policy Committee, this will be next week, to talk about specifically that delta-8 and other cannabinoids issue. Shortly after I get done here with you I'll be taking a final look at the presentation that Justin and Kathy, and Brian Smith have been working on pulling together to compliment the presentation that Gillian Shower will again start us off with to give that national perspective and public health grounded orientation toward this issue. That will be on Monday morning probably around 8:30 or so. The meeting goes from eight to ten, but if you're interested in looking in on it, we are probably up about 8:30 after they do a hearing on a gaming compact amendment.

Legislative presentations have been a focus. We're also working to complete a pair of agency requests legislative packages, one on testing labs, and that would be joint with the Department of Agriculture. We had a meeting last week with OFM (Office of Financial Management) and the Governor's staff, as well as the agencies. We're trying to make sure we're really well coordinated with what we're saying in our budget requests as well as revising some text with the bill, still going through some potential changes. OFM wanted for the funding for this effort to not have to be every year tucked into a back of the budget amendment and then regularize that with appropriation out of the dedicated marijuana account. That's the last effort area where we're focusing on coming up with some new language, and that should be done shortly.

Finally, the LCB is working on an agency request bill about regulation of these cannabinoids we've been talking about. We are finalizing a budget request. We do anticipate budgetary impact for LCB on the enforcement side as well as in rulemaking and developing those policies. We also anticipate the state patrol is projecting impact for their crime lab work, for which they would need new equipment and training, and some other things to be equipped to test for a wider range of compounds and not just the delta-9 that their current set up is oriented toward. We're in the process of vetting with stakeholders the third draft language of that bill, which we distributed last week and I expect to complete work on this package and submit everything in final form next week. That's where we are on that.

There are a few other things going here and there, legislatively, but those are the highlights. I'll stop there and see if you have any questions or any feedback for me.

Chair Postman: Only just a reminder that we do need the Board to be briefed on our agency request legislation, particularly the cannabinoid one, which has evolved as we've discussed it. We'll find a time to do that as soon as we can, because if you're going to be sending it in next week it would be good for the Board to have that briefing soon.

Mr. Thompson: Absolutely. I'm just, in fact today, getting more questions about this from the Department of Agriculture. We haven't yet completed the work on the budget portion, so I think once we know what we want to request that's when we want to connect with the Board members as soon as possible. We'll aim to do that before I click "send" on anything with all of that.

Chair Postman: That would be great. Okay. Any questions, Russ?

Member Hauge: No. Chris, I'm very happy with the level of information you're providing to us about what's going on. I know this is a really busy time and I'm standing by. You did a great job.

Mr. Thompson: Thank you.

Chair Postman: Thank you Chris. We will move to Enforcement and Education with Director Chandra Brady. Good afternoon.

ENFORCEMENT AND EDUCATION UPDATE – CHANDRA

Chandra Brady gave an Enforcement and Education presentation ([PRESENTATION 1](#)).

Chair Postman if the compliance checks had resumed in July. Ms. Brady confirmed and continued with the presentation.

Member Hauge: I have a question that relates to that graph you showed of the number of premise visits in vapor shops. That's the place where we have the biggest issue compliance. Right?

Ms. Brady: That is the place, yes.

Member Hauge: That's the lowest rate of compliance with the legal bar selling tobacco products to people under the age of 18. Right?

Ms. Brady: Yes.

Member Hauge: Why are the premise checks going down consistently?

Ms. Brady: They did an increased number of premise checks in October and this is a combination of tobacco and vapor. One of the impacts that we're dealing with right now...

Member Hauge: That's my question. The graph you're showing here -- the previous one showed that the compliance rate for these kinds of shops is bad compared to the other compliance rates like cannabis.

Yet, we have a decline since May of '20 to now October '21, overall. The trend line is very clear. Is that something due to our staffing or is it an enforcement priority?

Ms. Brady: We are dealing with the impacts of staffing in different areas, and units like our vapor unit with the number of staff in the unit is pretty low to start with than when we have staffing impacts that impacts our ability to get out there. As you can see, they got out to still over 350 locations across the state.

Member Hauge: No question. If you're working with less than a full toolbox this is good performance. It points out a need that we have in this area of Enforcement given the low compliance rate.

Ms. Brady: Yes. We have 31 vacancies right now.

Member Hauge: Thank you very much for taking the time.

Ms. Brady: Absolutely. Thanks for the question.

Ms. Brady completed her presentation.

Chair Postman: Thank you. Any other questions, Russ, for Chandra?

Member Hauge: No.

Chair Postman: I don't either. I will reserve my questions. Thank you. Appreciated as always. We'll move now to Communications Director Brian Smith.

COMMUNICATIONS AND MEDIA UPDATE – BRIAN

Brian Smith: Good afternoon, Chairman Postman, Member Hauge. I'll be brief. I'll cover some of the things from a communications standpoint.

We've already heard from some of the other members that is very important. Namely with the CCRS, you heard Jim say that we're a month out from that. Myself and my team have been working pretty well with subject matter experts on the team to make sure that we're getting out the right kind of communications to the licensees and the integrators in the labs, and all the different stakeholders based on what they need. We maintain an email box that sends everything through us relating to general questions that we feed through subject matter experts. Then that's posted typically to the FAQs that we run on the CCRS web page of our website, as well as the webinar questions, and address them live and we can point people there or respond to them directly when they have something very specific. We put out regular messages with regards to the milestones you might have seen last week so that we are continuing to build awareness about what they should be doing at this time and the deadlines that we have coming up.

Kendra, in response to a question from an integrator recently put together a quick start. So imagine just what you need to be able to make sure that you are ready either as an integrator, as a licensee, we'll be sending out, later today or by Friday morning. I thought that was a valuable thing.

The feedback that we're getting is that people are generally getting -- if they're responding at all -- what they need. You always worry when you have a lot of people who aren't asking, even though we don't necessarily need to know at this point, as to what they do know and what they're going to be needing at

the end. We're geared up on our team to make it the number one priority going into the final month to make sure we're turning out the information that's necessary. We're all aware of it. I think things are going well there and with Jim's leadership, as you heard, we seem to be doing quite well with this thing. Let's hope it continues.

You heard Chris talk about the legislative presentations. I'm always involved with that, with the other members that are there, and I think we're close to ready for the Senate on Monday. We're looking ahead.

We had a discussion yesterday about anticipating the recommendations from the Social Equity and Cannabis Task Force. That's something that's going to be significant, I think, as far as a communications role. We'll be talking internally as we know more about what to expect and how we might be able to provide and what kind of information we're going to need and what it is that we'll be able to say about that. I'm anticipating as well that we'll have a quality role there so that the folks know what it is that they're going to need. There is going to be a lot of different audiences, I think on that. Those people that want to be able to find out what we're going to do to make licenses available to the media, to legislators, all that kind of stuff, and we'll be prepared. I'll be the lead on that and ready to roll as soon as we can. We're planning to be proactive.

We put out the newsletter, you might remember, that on a quarterly basis we issue a newsletter to the cannabis industries as well as the alcohol industries. We retired the former platform and we've been searching high and low for a good alternative that's going to give us something very graphic, supports media, that type of thing, that would be easy to read. Let's say you want it in a newsletter, I always say that it's something I can sit and eat a bowl of cereal and want to read about the topic that I might not normally read about. That's what we want to be able to provide. I think we're going to go with the product. David, you might be familiar with it as "Medium", which is something the Governor has used in their office and in our poking around, and all the alternatives we have. We've established a Medium page and got the basics going on that. So more to come and folks will hear more about that. I think it's going to be a good solution for us.

Then the annual reports is in the works. That's from July 2020 through June 30 of this year. My team helps coordinate the information that comes in as well as writing a lot of original content. Julie Graham is going to be the lead on that, but we all play a role, including what the Board's focus is and the Board's message, etc. on that.

On the media front, you heard me say that we always have a steady stream of comments. I think it's been of late, it's been intermittent but we'll have some issues that pop up. The COVID-19 and the mask wearing was an issue over the Tri-Cities a few weeks ago, and once you have that you'll often have a spurt in every news organization from the TV to the radio, to the newspapers calling you. We had a recent inquiry from the Seattle Times based on a report from Leafly that looked at all the states that had legalized and the data they had, and made some projections about what's needed. They took some issue with how we collect the data. I can tell you that the problem wasn't really how we collect the data. It was they had a problem that it didn't fit in to the type of data that they wanted to be able to have. We talked with Leafly, I spent some time earlier today with them and then later the Seattle Times. We were very responsive, a lot of back and forth, but in the end if you saw that article a week ago or so it was fine. It was informative. It basically said that cannabis is the number four crop in Washington State.

That's it. I've got a guy from the Walla Walla Union Bulletin that's blowing up my phone as I speak. I can see they want to talk about the issues with some licensees over in the Walla Walla area, which the Board is familiar with, that were over canopy, and we're overseeing a controlled burn that's going on over there.

Overall it's not been a steady rollout of media, which is what we've had for years. But lately it's been quiet for a few days and then something will pop up. That's all that have. Are there any questions.

Member Hauge: That quick start guide that you said Kendra was preparing, can you drop a copy to me. I'd like to see what's out there.

Mr. Smith: Absolutely.

Member Hauge: Thank you.

Chair Postman: Brian, anything on CCRS? You heard the conversation with Jim. When you think about whether there's a place in the communication between now and go live that addresses this anxiety among licensees that we're going to be looking for missed dotted "i"s and crossed "t"s, you can just transcribe some of Russ's comments about how we use traceability. I think it would be nice if we could try to reassure people and also explain how it is used today.

Mr. Smith: Absolutely. I made a note of it already. I read between the lines. Thank you.

Chair Postman: Thank you Brian. Appreciate that. Next, Toni Hood our Deputy Director will give us a general agency update. Hello Toni.

GENERAL AGENCY UPDATE – TONI

Toni Hood: Good afternoon Chairman Postman and Member Hauge. I'm going to start off with a meeting that our facilities manager, our risk manager Matt Hanson had with the City of Olympia. This just happened two days ago. It was open to members of the community and Matt attended on our behalf. There is a piece of property that City of Olympia purchased. It used to be where the Quality Inn was near the freeway. It's about two blocks from here. It is now going to be moved into a low barrier homeless shelter. The City of Olympia purchased that property and they have said within the next four months there will be a low barrier shelter opening. Low barrier means everyone can be there. There are no restrictions including unregistered sex offenders. They can be there as well.

Coincidentally we recently put out a reminder to our staff to be aware of their surroundings as it's darker when some staff arrive to the headquarters building. We will continue to point out safety tips as the winter months continue and will continue to assess the situation whenever the homeless camp opens up. I don't have a lot more details about it except that's the timeline right now. There are several members of the neighborhood that aren't happy. As you know there is a school across the street, which isn't terribly happy, but it sounds like the City of Olympia is firm on their plan going forward.

Member Hauge: The homeless camp down past the railroad tracks and under the overpass tells me that the community that we're afraid of is already there now. Maybe this will give us a way to identify, manage that risk.

Chair Postman: Somebody made that point in one of our meetings the other day, Toni, when this issue came up, that it doesn't mean there's not a problem if they don't move into the hotel. But they deserve some humanity and this hopefully allows access to some support, some control even though it is low to zero barrier entry.

Ms. Hood: Yes. Just to clarify, the hotel isn't there anymore. It's just a vacant lot.

Chair Postman: Yes. We don't know what to call it – camp, encampment, place...

Ms. Hood: I'm not sure anything further about the logistics, but we'll keep you updated and Matt Hanson is staying connected with that.

Chair Postman: Good. Thank you.

Toni Hood: The next item I have is our SMP project, which is our system modernization project. It's also called LEEDs internally. At this time, we are starting the readiness this portion of that project. So, we're not kicking off the project yet, but we're working on some prep work. I'm the executive sponsor of that project and we are reaching out to directors because we do need some of their resources from their subject matter experts to get ready for the RFP (Request for Proposal) assuming that we are in the Governor's budget for the requested amount in the decision package. We are working on that.

We're also working on a strong governance document so that we can be very clear when we kick off the project, where decisions should be made, who has the authority to make decisions and what needs to be elevated to the steering committee, and equally as important, what does not need to be elevated to the steering committee so that we can have sufficient progress in that within the amount of time that we need to make it happen. I've had a great time getting to know Glenda who is leading the readiness from our IT and she's been extremely helpful.

The third item I have is that Director Bingham from HR and Director Garza and I have been working with our new DEI manager on our diversity plan. We are working on his PDP, his expectations, and we have some plans already in place that we would like him to work on expanding and implementing. Anita did quite a bit of work before we hired a DEI manager and also our former HR director did quite a bit of work as well. The three of us met with Dr. Johnson as well this week, from the Office of Equity, and we will continue to meet with her every two months, approximately, to touch base and to explain to her what we're doing, and reach out for resources and share knowledge. And we look forward to those meetings. I have never met her before this week and I really enjoyed it.

As was previously mentioned, we are in the midst of our agency's strategic planning. We had a meeting a week ago that went very well and we will continue that meeting at the beginning of December. This is not a new agency strategic plan, but rather a refresh of our five-year plan, making sure that we're on track to meet our strategies and have reportable outcomes.

The fifth thing I have is that I also did a ride-along like Chair Postman did. Over the past month I went out with two liquor enforcement officers. It was very educational for me and I was extremely impressed with how personable they are and how well they relate to licensees. They both did an excellent job. The licensees that we stopped by and visited all recognized them, or most of them recognized them. They had a working relationship and there was a very easy discussion between them. There wasn't tension and I really appreciated seeing that. We went to places that were completely empty and some places that were totally packed, and I think it was a Tuesday or Wednesday. It was very informative for me and I'm glad I went.

The last thing that I have is that we continue to participate in events that involve other state agencies, and specifically I mean the combined fund drive is going on right now. It's a little bit difficult given the amount of non-enforcement staff that we have working remotely to get people excited, but we did have a great

auction of several baskets and I think we raised almost \$2000 from those baskets. We continue to have fundraisers and participate with other state agencies to raise money for worthy causes.

And that's all I have unless you have questions.

Russ Hauge: Thank you.

David Postman: None from me, thank you very much. Appreciate that. Then to wrap it up, Rick Garza our Director, for General Agency update and Director's comments.

DIRECTOR'S COMMENTS – RICK

Rick Garza: Good afternoon, Chair Postman, Board Member Hauge, I've only got a few minutes. You've heard a lot and it's been since the 13th that we were together with you. I'd like to just share the priorities of the agency, very quickly.

David, you were able to join us for a strategic planning session on November 1st. That was, Russ, looking at our 2019-2024 plan, which is the five-year plan. It was really an update to the objectives and initiatives, and strategies that we put in place several years ago. But frankly, because of COVID we just haven't had a chance to really open it up and look at it. So we did one session. I think we got through two of the four goals that we have in our strategic plan and we'll be doing another session for those other two, and David will present for those. Then we'll bring those back to the Board to just walk through them with you, get your feedback before we do any final action plans on that. As you heard Chandra, they're already working on some of those action plans right now. I just wanted to share with you that's an effort that we've begun again.

Then the DEI Manager, Jim Weatherly, I thought Toni did a nice update. It's really great to have Jim here. If you haven't met him he's a remarkable guy. Just a small world, because Dr. Johnson who is the Director of the new Governor's Equity Office, was actually a mentor to Jim and they worked together at DSHS several years ago, so it's great to have Jim on board. The idea, so you know, that we met and talked about it yesterday, was to put a webinar together for our entire agency, and that would give us an opportunity in the next month, month and a half -- Once Jim got his feet wet, and understands our agency a little better. We've gotten questions when I've gone to division meetings about, "Rick, tell us about what's going on with DEI and the new manager". So I think we'll do a webinar and it will give us an opportunity to share the priorities, the work that Jim is going to be working on the next three, six to nine months. So I'll make sure that you have an opportunity. We'll have to figure out a way for you to have an opportunity. Maybe we'll just have Jim come to EMT and give you the same update. But, we're just excited to have Jim here with us.

Then Chris talked about a lot of legislative meetings. I want to commend the staff because the meeting with the House Commerce and Labor back on the 21st went very well. I think bringing Gillian Schauer in to get an overview was terrific, and then of course Chris, Chandra, Kendra and Jim did a great job. I had a lot of good comments from the Chair in a subsequent meeting, as Chris shared, about the information that we shared.

Then last week, just so you're aware, myself, Chandra, Jim and Becky went to WACA. We had about an hour and a half. I had a 30-minute presentation of an overview of agency activity and they specifically went into the three areas that we discussed before the House Committee. I just thought they did a really

great job and it was obvious -- it was good to see -- there were several, four or five licensees, they got up after the presentation to share experiences that they're having in Licensing and with Enforcement, the kind of collaboration, education compliance, had a lot of good things to say. I just want you to be aware of that. It's very consistent with what you're hearing that Chris shared with the Committee and that Chandra shared with the Committee and then with one of the trade associations. So, really good feedback there.

Sometimes we get stuck in our divisions and we saddle ourselves and I've seen that experience as Director for nine years. Something that Chandra and others have said, "the three legs of the stool of our regulatory work is really Licensing, Enforcement and Finance". We collect the taxes and fees of all these four commodities, or at least three of them. I've seen a concerted effort collaboration between those three divisions to work more closely together and it shows. I'm hearing it out there from the community that we regulate. I'm hearing it from staff. It's not that it wasn't there, but there's an effort, I can see it, to make sure that people are communicating. Then you've got to bring Brian and the communications team in. They're working very closely with all of them. So remember, when there was criticism of our agency, whether it was about Licensing, Enforcement or the Director's office, it was because we weren't communicating uniformly and consistently within the agency and outside the agency. I've just seen the last six months of the year that that has changed dramatically and it just looks good, it feels good and I just want to share that with you because I think it's exactly where we want to go as an agency.

Then you've got Kathy and the team that's doing the rulemaking that you work with weekly that has changed the way that we do rules. They were just talking about this with a legislator yesterday about the fact that we used to have public hearings on our CR 102 and it would go on and on. We have very few people that come because of the collaboration that we need with our licensees, public health prevention, and everyone is occurring throughout that process. People are feeling heard because if they didn't they'd come to those public hearings and they'd demand that things would change. To be honest with you, that's the past that we had three, four years ago. But Kathy has taken us to a different level, and Justin and the team with respect how we do policy and rules work.

Just another example, the homeless site that we just spoken of, we've got other agencies with us in that area where we're at. We've got Alfie Alvarado-Ramos who's the Director of Veteran Affairs and then the State Board of Community Technical Colleges. Just so you're aware, a couple of months ago we had a quick discussion about doing everything we can as agencies of our Governor and of the state, to do whatever we could to help with that homeless site and not have the kind of reaction that some people have, as you said, Russ, it doesn't exist. We've got to do something to try to help these folks. Just so you're aware, it's not just our agency, but others on that whole site are working together to make sure that we bring that home to them.

The Governor has an annual LEAN conference. He does opening remarks, and believe it or not, maybe no surprise, we were one of three agencies that were recognized by the Governor directly. We had done an effort in Licensing that we were so proud of that Becky had done, around "design thinking". And what that means, and I remember bringing this to you for discussion so you were aware. Instead of just assuming we were doing this process of licensing correct, we went out to the stake holders to ask them, "if you were going to change this or do something different, what would it look like?" And I mean, they went into some detail and made some changes, and the Governor recognized our staff in his opening remarks at the annual Lead conference. I want to thank Edmon Lee because as our lead person he was the one that suggested it to the Governor's staff and we got mentioned. It was cool to hear and see.

Chair Postman, I think I'm going over, so I'm going to stop there and take any questions you might have.

Chair Postman: You've not gone over, but we appreciate the timely message anyhow. Russ, any questions or comments for Rick?

Member Hauge: No.

Chair Postman: I just want to say one thing about the communications piece of this, Rick, which I totally agree with what you were saying. The thing is when we talk about communications, and working with our communications team, sometimes it gets a bad name -- It's like PR and spin. Sometimes it's just the opposite. It's about them helping us say things in the clearest possible way and to the broadest possible audience. And it really does show in some of those examples you're giving. CCRS is a perfect example -- the user's guide, those things. So, I'm really glad that directors reach out to Brian and his team as often as they do, and that collaboration exists like that, and that we embrace it. It's just about telling the people we work for what we're doing and what they need to know in order to be successful with their licensing. Appreciate that.

ADDITIONAL TEAM UPDATES AND FINAL BOARD INQUIRIES

Chair Postman: And with that, I always give a chance for any additional team updates, if we missed anything, or if anybody has anything to add from the staff team -- nobody ever does. Russ, any last thoughts?

Member Hauge: No.

Chair Postman. Me neither. Thank you everybody. Appreciate the work of the directors all of the staff. Have a great rest of your day.

TAKEAWAYS

- Chris to follow up with the Board individually regarding agency request legislation
 - Brian to send CCRS Quick Start to Russ
 - Rick/Team – Review the four Strategic Plan goals with Board before taking final action
 - Rick – consider inviting Jim Weatherly to EMT for a DEI update
-

Meeting adjourned at 2:28pm.

Minutes approved this 14th day of December, 2021



David Postman
Board Chair

Not Present

Ollie Garrett
Board Member



Russ Hauge
Board Member

Minutes Prepared by: Dustin Dickson, Executive Assistant