



## Board Caucus Meeting

Tuesday, February 14, 2023, 10:00 am

This meeting was held in a hybrid environment

## Meeting Minutes

---

### CAUCUS ATTENDEES

Chair David Postman  
Member Ollie Garrett  
Member Jim Vollendroff  
Dustin Dickson, Executive Assistant

### GUESTS:

Marc Webster, Director of Legislative Relations  
Anita Bingham, Director of Human Resources  
Jes Erickson, Assistant Attorney General  
Kathy Hoffman, PhD, Policy and Rules Manager  
Jeff Kildahl, Policy and Rules Coordinator  
Cassidy West, Policy and Rules Coordinator  
Daniel Jacobs, Policy and Rules Coordinator  
Rick Garza, Agency Director

---

*At 10:00 am, Dustin Dickson announced that the meeting lobbies were open, and the recording had begun.*

*At 10:00 am, Chair Postman convened the meeting.*

---

### LEGISLATIVE UPDATE

#### **Marc Webster, Director of Legislative Relations**

Marc Webster: Good morning, Chair Postman and Board Members Garrett, and Vollendroff. Yesterday, our Social Equity Bill, Substitute Senate Bill 5080, had its first hearing in Ways and Means. Board Member Garrett testified on it and did an absolutely fantastic job. Rick, Becky, and I were in the hearing room, and I think we all agree that the hearing went pretty well. It's a very tough spot. There are 10 bills on a wide variety of topics. Very tight timelines for testimony. But I think members really got a sense of why the bill was important. We had a Tacoma City Council member speak to it, and many in the industry and stakeholders did, as well. Board Member Garrett, sorry for the delay in getting all of our final plan together. But even on short notice, I thought you did a fantastic job on your testimony.

Our THC Bill, Senate Bill 5367, passed the Senate Labor and Commerce Committee yesterday after taking on some technical amendments that we, frankly, think make it better. There are still calls to lower that THC threshold, and the sponsor acknowledged that upon passing the bill yesterday. But I think the bill is in a very good spot at the moment. Justin and the Communications team have been working on a document that will hopefully walk members through some of the misunderstandings or maybe outright misstatements that we have heard about that bill and testimony, particularly on the House side. Some of the bills that we have been following that have been a little more of a concern are getting better.

The Bill allowing restaurants to deliver alcohol has removed third-party delivery. That one is up for Exec, I think, today. I'm not sure that it's in a place we can support it, but it's continuing to kind of move in the right way or in the right direction. There is a Bill on Licensing from Senator Schoesler, Bill 5291, that was a very serious concern initially. But I think he took a lot of the feedback at a meeting we had with Licensing Director, Becky Smith, as well as Rick, and I think the Bill is actually workable now. It is up for Exec here in a few minutes. The Bill that would have barred our enforcement officers from stopping youth suspected of buying tobacco and vape has been amended to allow such stops in the vicinity of retailers. I think that's a limit that we are okay with. And as we do retain the ability to hold merchants accountable that are selling tobacco and vape to kids.

And Board Member Vollendroff, I would still like to speak to many of the folks in the public health community that have been supporting the bill. I think there has been some skepticism around the need for this kind of authority beyond the standard compliance checks. But Enforcement has really helped me, and the legislature, I think, understand that we often need more than one tool in the tool belt to fill the public safety mission. So we're trying to get a meeting together, and I will keep you apprised of that, Board Member Vollendroff. And hopefully, we can just talk to the folks about their concerns and where we see the bill going. A bill removing our authority over cannabis retail sign size had an amendment that would have removed still more authority from us. But it didn't pass, thankfully. So we are definitely playing some defense as we try to keep our Agency Request bills moving.

The Subpoena Bill remains on the floor calendar. Joining it in the Senate is the Interstate Compact Bill. That was the so-called Trigger Bill that would allow the Governor to compact with other states upon federal legalization of cannabis. And then a final reminder, our Social Equity Bill in the House has a hearing this week, and that is on Thursday morning. And with that, I'll take any questions.

David Postman: I got one quick one on the Trigger Bill.

Marc Webster: Yeah.

David Postman: Does that still look like it did when it was introduced? Or was it amended to include that California language?

Marc Webster: It was not.

David Postman: Good.

Marc Webster: I see some amendments on the House version, as well, but not that one.

David Postman: Okay. I think that's good. Great.

Marc Webster: Yeah.

David Postman: Thank you. Other questions for Marc?

Jim Vollendroff: Sorry, I have a quick question. So Marc.

Marc Webster: Yeah.

Jim Vollendroff: Thank you, first of all. And thanks for the weekly written updates, as well.

Marc Webster: Oh, yeah.

Jim Vollendroff: Super helpful. I just wanted to ask a question. Going back to the Licensing Bill, you said that it was amended, and it's more workable. Can you just share a little bit more about the changes that were made to that?

Marc Webster: Sure. So the original version for certain license types, it just said that after 30 days you have got to issue a temporary one. And after a certain amount of time, it's automatically given. What we have tried to say, in addition to lengthening the timeline, is the clock should start when all the documentation has been provided to us. That is, we are not going to allow somebody to run out the clock by simply not responding or not giving us any information and then automatically getting a license. So if all the documentation is in, then we can start the clock, and 30 days was probably too short anyway, so we have moved it to 45. But I think the key is really making sure that we have all the documentation that we need before you start the clock.

Jim Vollendroff: Right. Thank you. That's super helpful.

David Postman: Mm-hmm. And that hasn't actually been amended yet. Has it?

Marc Webster: Well, I was just checking that. Yes. It is up for Exec today.

David Postman: Okay.

Marc Webster: The amendment wasn't out until yesterday evening. So it was definitely a kind of a trust but verify situation. We had heard he was taking all these amendments, but it was actually good to see them in print.

David Postman: Great. Okay. Good.

Marc Webster: Yeah.

David Postman: Thank you. Okay. It looks like that's it. Thank you, Marc. Talk to you later. Now, we're going to go into Executive Session for 30 minutes. It's an Executive Session with legal counsel and human resources pursuant to RCW 42.30.110. This is to review potential litigation, risks, and legal risks related to a proposed action. I anticipate the Executive Session will conclude at 10:40, at which time we'll come back. If we finish before that, we'll stand at ease till 10:40. If it needs to go longer than that, we'll come at 10:40 and let you know what the new time is.

---

## **EXECUTIVE SESSION – HUMAN RESOURCES REVIEW**

*At 10:10 am, Chair Postman announced the Board would go into Executive Session for Human Resources Review. He anticipated the Executive Session would be 30 minutes.*

*At 10:40 am, Chair Postman brought the meeting back to order.*

---

## **QUARTERLY HUMAN RESOURCES REVIEW** **Anita Bingham, Director of Human Resources**

Anita Bingham: So I'm here to share some information about our Employee Engagement Survey. And Dustin is getting the PowerPoint for us.

Anita Bingham: All right. I think we can go on to the next slide, Dustin. So there were 79 state agencies and two higher-ed institutions that participated in 2022. And in comparing our results from 2021 to 2022, we made gains in all of our positive responses in almost all of our standard questions. We only had three questions that were lower, and those were only by 1%.

Question 19.) "In general, I'm satisfied with my job," remained the same at 77% compared with the Enterprise at 74%. And this question is thought to be an indicator of employee retention, so that's why we looked at that one. Question 20.) "I would recommend my agency as a great place to work" with 73%. This question is an indicator of how likely an employee would be to help us with recruitment efforts. The rotating question, Question 21.) "My agency encourages belonging in the workplace." Last year, it was worded as inclusion, so just slightly different. It dropped by 1% to 75%, but we're still well above the Enterprise at 65%, so 10 points higher than the rest of the Enterprise on that one. Question 22 is a new supplemental question regarding communicating safety protocols. The LCB is at 72%, and the Enterprise is at 76%. So I think that might be the only question we're a little below the Enterprise on, so we might want to think about how we get some information out about our safety practices here.

Questions 23 through 26 are the new Pro-equity Anti-racist questions developed by the Office of Equity. And we do have a slide later that is broken down by division, and I will share the comparison with the rest of the Enterprise when we see that slide. Questions 27 and 28 are new ADA questions developed with the Disability Inclusion Network. Question 27 asked about employees knowing how to ask for a reasonable accommodation. We were at 68%, and the Enterprise was that 64%, so it's pretty close. Question 28 asked about employees with disabilities recommending their agency to people living with a disability. We were at 69% versus 58% for the Enterprise. So next slide, please.

So our respectful workplace policy that went into effect December of 2020 uses two survey questions to measure how the agency is doing in maintaining a respectful workplace. We have a goal of 90% positive to both Questions 7 and 10. Question 10 is the spirit of cooperation and teamwork exist in my work group. We are currently at 85% on that one, so we're a bit short of our goal. With 91%, we're slightly above our goal in the second question, "My supervisor treats me with dignity and respect." So that's good. We're meeting the goal there. Next slide.

This slide shows results by Division, the Board/Director, Deputy, HR and Communications, Policies, we are all grouped together there in that first group, so we can protect confidentiality since we are smaller groups. You will see the participation rate at the top, though. For instance, IT scores fairly high, but only 51 of our employees identified that they worked in IT. And you are able to skip the division that you work in when you take the survey. So it's a little hard to know exactly because we did have a number of people that didn't identify which division they work in. Next slide.

These questions have the biggest increase from last year. Question 5.) "I had opportunities at work to learn and grow." It grew by 10% to 73%, and Question 14.) "I'm encouraged to come up with better ways of doing things," was up 10%, also to 68%. But that is still one of our lowest-scoring questions, so we probably need to think about what we can do there. Question 2.) "I receive helpful communication from my agency," was up 7% to 74%. So good trend there. And our questions with the lowest scores were Question 11.) "I know how my agency measures success." It was up 5% from last year. But it's still only at 60, and I think that one continues to be one of our lower-scoring questions. Question 13.) "My agency

helps me navigate change," was up also 7% but only at 68%. Some themes to our open-ended question of what we are doing well. People appreciate the flexibility and work-life balance.

People made comments that there is good work across the divisions and work teams. And some people said that the agency is inclusive and welcoming, and we're improving on our DEI efforts. Several people mentioned we have a good onboarding practice. Areas to improve though are hiring, retention, pay, lack of opportunities, and workload, which kind of goes on the other side of workload balance. Some questions relating to needing better overall communication. There were some questions that leadership such as EMT is not connected to staff. We need to do a better job of listening. Several people wanted us to bring back the quarterly leadership training that we used to do off-site. The next slide, please.

So these are the PEAR questions broken down by the divisions. The LCB rated higher in all four questions than the Enterprise. On Question 23, we had 68% versus the Enterprise at 62%. Question 24, we were at 70% versus 63%. Question 25 was 71% versus 66%, and Question 26 was 71% versus 66%. So room for improvement. Those are brand new questions. Hopefully, they will carry those forward next year in the same format, so we'll have an opportunity to see if the things that we're doing are making us headway there.

Moving forward, we're sharing our results with employees. We have already done that via sending out a message with the overall agency results. Last week, we had our breakfast. So we had a question where we asked people what belonging at the LCB looks like to them and asking them how we can support them in change. We are also doing that with the field offices. So once we get all that back, we'll bring that back to probably the PEAR Team and the Diversity Council and have a further discussion and looking at maybe doing some focus groups or just other ways that we can engage employees with that conversation. There is still conversation about trying to do an open house in the spring, and we could further bring some DEI topics to that if we put together that open house.

We have four grievances that are still pending that have to do with the separations from COVID. Two of them have been heard. We are waiting for the decisions. And two are in the process of getting scheduled. So Fish and Wildlife did have, I think, two or three decisions that were slightly different facts, different than ours, but those people did get brought back with backpay.

David Postman: Those were enforcement people at Fish and Wildlife?

Anita Bingham: They were not, actually.

David Postman: Oh, okay.

Anita Bingham: Yeah. So theirs were a little bit different.

David Postman: Okay.

Anita Bingham: So we will hope that our fact pattern is good, and those will hold and continue on with that. And then just some general updates about what's been happening with the DEIB. We have been doing a lot of work with PEAR, and the Diversity Council has been very active. So some of the things that we have going on and some of the things that we're planning to do. I know that the Diversity Council is still working on the employee orientation video. They are planning to interview several people, Rick included, to be able to show that to people when they come on their first day in terms of how the agency embraces DEI. Any questions?

David Postman: Yeah. On the survey, a couple of things. I think it was during strategic planning, we were talking about what do we do when we get these results? And so I see that reflected there, which is great. As you work on exactly what vehicle to do that, I would like to just be engaged in that and take whatever part I can in listening to employees more. That's the part I'm really interested in. Then given the finding or the comment about lack of connection with the Executive Management Team, maybe we figure out how to, as part of this process, show that connection. Explore that. Find a way so maybe when it is a town hall with the Executive Management Team or something where people get to see those folks and interact with them or something, so we do make that more integrated. And then I would think about -- and I'll have to look at what the trend has been on this one, but you know that Question #11, I know how my agency measures success, which is so low, which is so important to this agency and the whole administration. We should think about that. We have got to get together and talk about that because we have some of the best people in house who are working on that issue.

Anita Bingham: Right.

David Postman: But it's not somehow getting out there. And so I would just ask Rick, you, and the team to think about that piece in of itself, like, okay. That seems to be something that you could say, okay, for this year that should be a focus area. How do we get people?

Rick Garza: It has been an issue for years with us. What I would share is oftentimes the answer to that question because it deals with the agency, not the particular divisions. If you ask the question within Licensing or Enforcement, they will tell you that they know how their division measures success. And it's kind of interesting. Sometimes they were at odds with some of the decisions that we make as leaders, and so it has something to do with that, but I'm going to dig a little bit deeper, but it's always been the communication question as an agency and then how we measure success as an agency has always been lower for years. And if I had Brian here, he would tell you all the different ways we are trying to communicate to try to let people know. Everyone, we only have EMT. I'm going to use it as an example. We have EMT once a month. Every employee has the opportunity to join us for that discussion. And that's an issue that I'm going to share with the management team this afternoon when we meet because I think that's an interesting point. That people would feel like they are somehow disconnected from that. I don't quite understand it, but I want to learn more about it because I thought it was an interesting point that was made.

David Postman: And then on the performance piece on "How do you measure success?", let's just talk to people and find out what they are thinking, you know? If they are feeling like they know that for their division, what is their division doing that works for them that maybe we could do. Or is it how it fits in or whatever it is? It just seems like it should be an easily fixable thing because we do so much of it.

Rick Garza: Right.

David Postman: And I don't know, maybe we make that part of the EMT, and we have Jessica come and talk about that every month. And I wondered just the other day, in fact, because we were talking about the Social Equity Program, what sort of attendance we have at EMT from general employees. And it doesn't seem like very many, usually. I don't know how many people show up for EMT, but let's encourage them. Let's invite them again. Let's remind people that they can and should. You know, it's a long meeting, so I know they can't all sit through all of it. I can barely sit through all of it, but let's get people.

Rick Garza: It's only once a month though, yeah.

David Postman: Yeah.

Anita Bingham: I think one of the ideas that Diversity Council has at NAO is to put together some coupons that they would -- I don't know if they are virtually going to give them to employees to encourage them to attend like a BRG meeting, attend an EMT meeting. So I think people actually have kind of that individualized invitation. And then I think there might be like a prize if you do like, two out of five suggestions or three out of the five suggestions.

David Postman: Oh. That's good.

Anita Bingham: So that's something that they are working on, and I think could be fun.

David Postman: Yeah. Well, let's put EMT as part of that. That would be great. Or maybe it's each division should have somebody at every EMT who could report back to their division if they wanted. And they can do that on a rotating basis. And we at the EMT could say, "Here is the division representatives for this month's meeting." So all of their employees know who it is. And just start to devolve that a little bit. Like get people down in the organization who aren't getting to sit at EMT. Ollie?

Ollie Garrett: I remember Jane had made EMT because Dustin sent out emails any suggestions for the agenda item for EMT, and we wouldn't get anything. She kind of made it a little more tailored to a discussion. And, Rick, you were there with this, how she structured EMT. But it was, for example, if it was something around licensing for this EMT, you're coming to tell us about what you're doing on and on. And then Becky would come, and she would have a couple of her other employees from Licensing there giving us an overview of what's going on in Licensing. But it was being broken out by division, because we weren't getting agenda items. So we kind of said, well, we're going to say what we want to hear or what division we want to hear from and what's going on in your division at EMT.

David Postman: So EMT is our meeting, so we can tailor it like we would like. And I think now we don't have a shortage of items. It's interesting. We often get responses. But really, I don't have much. But we fill the time, and I feel like the conversation has gotten better of late. There is more to it, but if there are areas that we want to do a focus on or a deep dive on, we should just do that all in. And let's think about that and suggest it, and we just send a note and say, we'd like to spend the bulk of our time talking about compliance checks, which is something we have talked about some, or Social Equity Program, whatever it is, and not worry about everybody getting in there for the report and do the more in-depth.

Rick Garza: Yeah, I think you're right, Ollie. Jane did that because, frankly, and you said it, David. I don't think the EMTs were as valuable as they are now as far as people reporting out. So I think to your point, David, it would be good for the Board members knowing that Chandra and Becky and others are going to be there, if there are specific questions or areas you want them to cover. Because, usually, what you're getting is like Chandra, who has given you those slides that tell you what's trending from month-to-month. If there is something specific you want to hear about, "Hey, we had a discussion about this a week or two ago. Tell me more about that." Then it allows you to be even more dimensional than just one topic like Jane would do. It would allow you to then -- so that meeting is really about the agency sharing the operations of the agency with the Board members, which is probably why we don't get a lot of people from the outside but certainly on the inside. I do want to generate more interest of employees to come to that meeting and hear what is being said.

Jim Vollendroff: So I was just going to say I really liked that suggestion, Ollie's suggestion. And looking for ways to include more people from the different sections, and one way would be to highlight a different section each time. But I also wanted to say one of the things I have come to enjoy about working with the

LCB is the employee engagement. I have been involved in surveys forever, and I really like how this group, in particular, right now, we're jumping to solutions, and we're looking at the ones where we scored low. I also want to celebrate the fact that these are really terrific scores. And that these scores and participation is exemplary when you look across. I mean, again, I've been involved in these exact same type of surveys for 20 years. And to get the level of participation and to see the increase of the scores from you and to recognize that where there are opportunities, here we are jumping right into solutions for some of the ones. So I just wanted to acknowledge that.

The one that stood out to me was the hiring, retention, pay, lack of opportunities, and workload. And I would be really interested in unpacking that one across the division a little bit more and doing some work. And as a Board member, this is an area where I would be really interested in diving in more. So if we're looking for a Board member to lean in on a particular area, I just wanted to put out there that I would be really interested in this particular area.

David Postman: Great. I think we should. You know we talk about focus groups and strategic planning, and you mentioned it in your slide, and I think that's one way to do it. And if we want to do one on say that question, Jim, maybe you go to that one and talk to employees. And I'm particularly interested in the one about performance. How do we measure performance and communication? So we should just create those forums and have meetings with people. And I agree, I think the numbers are great, and it shows people are engaged, feel engaged. But I think what we were hearing from people was, what happens then? So we get the survey, and there was a sense of not the follow-up. They wanted more follow-up. Those from even division heads, we want to do more at that level.

Jim Vollendroff: Right. And I think next year's scores will reflect what we do as a result of this. And so it's really important.

David Postman: Yeah. Okay. Good. Any other questions for Anita? No? Okay. Thank you, Anita.

Anita Bingham: Thank you.

---

## **BOARD MEETING PREP AND RULES UPDATE**

**Kathy Hoffman, PhD, Policy and Rules Manager; Jeff Kildahl, Policy and Rules Coordinator; Cassidy West, Policy and Rules Coordinator; Daniel Jacobs, Policy and Rules Coordinator**

Kathy Hoffman: Good morning, Chair Postman, Board Members Garrett, and Vollendroff, and everyone else in the room. We don't have any action items for the Board Meeting tomorrow, so I will just be providing a rules update today, and then I will provide a rules update at the Board Meeting tomorrow, as well. But starting with Cannabis Canopy Project, it is coming along. We do have some internal meetings happening right now. It's still on track to bring a 102 to the Board in mid-May if not a little later than that, and then working on some communication to stakeholders to help with the upcoming growing season because I know there is some question around that. So collaborating with Director Brady and others to extend some regulatory guidance for the growing season, and we can look for that towards the end of the month, I think, if not the first part of March.

Moving on to cannabis advertising. Cassidy has moved that project along nicely. At this point, she's planning on bringing a CR-102 to the Board in early June, with finalization sometimes toward the first part of August. I'm looking at the wrong column here on my screen. Apologies for that. With respect to bringing forward the rule petition, there were two rule petitions about minors on licensed premise. The first one



had to do with minors under 16 being on licensed premise, and the other one had to do with minors 16 and over who were accompanying contractors on licensed premise. So that might be an apprentice who might be accompanying someone working on an electrical system or HVAC system or something like that. Cassidy will be bringing the 101 forward on that project toward the end of March. So at this point, it looks like March 28th, and so that rule project would be completed sometime in late 2023.

And then Jeff will be bringing the 101 concerning Cannabis Sampling to the Board on March 1st. Our rulemaking approach on that project is going to be a little different because we are going to do some pre-rule development stakeholder engagements using a different approach to deliberative dialogue. So it's bringing folks together for thematic analysis, still using that democratic approach to developing those things but not using the panel approach that our prior deliberative dialogues have. So under that timeline we could bring a 102 about mid-May and then have rules completed by the early part of August.

And then just quickly on the Cannabis side. We received two petitions I want you to be aware of. The first is from John Kingsbury that has to do with the revocation of medical endorsements, in his words, in the absence of voluntary and affirmative action by the licensee. So we are working on that, and we'll bring a recommendation to you on March 29th. And then the second petition is one that you may have heard, Mike Sherman, referred to in a committee hearing in the first part of January. It has to do with rather than paying cash for cannabis prior to or at the time of delivery -- so this is between a producer and processor -- allow payment for the cannabis within three days of delivery. So he has offered some language. We received that petition on February 6th, and we will also bring a recommendation to you on March 29th. So I'll stop with cannabis and ask if there are any questions before I move into alcohol-related rulemaking and general rulemaking. A lot of information there.

David Postman: Just one point on advertising. That's not something that I haven't really been able to track as much as I would like, and so I would just ask that prior to having, Kate, maybe that 102 in hand to have the opportunity to hear from you and staff about what you have learned and where you are thinking of going and things of that sort.

Kathy Hoffman: Yeah.

David Postman: I just want to do a little catch up before we get the draft 102 if I could.

Kathy Hoffman: Sure, absolutely. And I think that we do have our regular stakeholder engagement options written into the rural development plan, so lots to come there. But, really, it's to update the rules. They haven't been updated since 2018. And I think our advertising environment has expanded somewhat in the way that advertising is shared and promoted, especially the social media platforms and various places that we see cannabis advertising now that we didn't in 2018.

David Postman: And could that be impacted by the Bill that is in the legislature?

Kathy Hoffman: I think it's too early to speculate at this point. We don't know what is going to happen with that bill. But I think that the rulemaking could go on even in the midst of that bill moving forward, if it does, because that's primarily outdoor advertising.

David Postman: Right Okay. Thank you.

Kathy Hoffman: You're welcome. So if I may, I'll move into Alcohol Rules in Progress. As you know, Daniel is going to bring the Class 13 Privilege Review CR-101 to you in the middle of March. I think we

have talked about that in the past. But that is based on the rule petition that the Board approved, accepted, in early January. So hoping to bring the 101 to you mid-March. That would put the 102 roughly the end of June, with the 103 first part of August. So I hope that we can move that project along pretty rapidly.

And then, finally, Daniel has been working on the Cloud Storage Project with some internal stakeholder meetings. You approved that 101 on January 25th. At this point, it looks like we'll be able to bring a 102 to you mid-May, with a 103 finalization in mid-July. So it looks like there will be a lot. We'll be bringing some completed packages to you in mid-May around the time we'll be thinking about implementing a new legislative rulemaking that comes with this most recent session. So that's my update for today. Happy to answer any questions.

---

## **GENERAL AGENCY UPDATES**

### **Rick Garza, Agency Director**

Rick Garza: Not too much to share, but one thing that I wanted to share with the Board members, and I shared with the Licensing division today is how well I think our legislative program is running this year with Marc and Justin and the team. A lot of those bills we heard this morning have to do with licensure. People wanting to find different ways of selling alcohol and cannabis or just generally changes to the way we regulate the industries. And I just think it really feels smoother. And I think Marc, for being somebody who is brand new, you wouldn't know it. And having Justin there as a backup with his experience and knowledge, and then, of course, Kathy, and then all the divisions. Licensing does a lot of work to help us understand how these licensing bills are going to impact us. So I just wanted to share. We kind of moved quickly, Ollie, to get you to testify yesterday. So forgive us if we went back and forth there for a little bit, but I just think that was a really important testimony that you provided. I think it synced up well with the rest of the testimony that was made as we shared this morning. So sometimes we just got to move quickly. I wish we would have had that a little better planned, but that's all right. It worked. So just really appreciate the involvement of the Board members individually on some of these bills that we have been involved in, and in general. But I really feel like it's smooth and working very well, and I want to commend the staff and then the Board members for all their work on that. Thank you.

David Postman: Great. Thanks, Rick. Yeah. I would second all that about the Leg. plan. I think Marc is doing a fantastic job. It's really nice to have him up there. It's not easy. So good. Last up is Board member and executive assistant reports.

---

## **BOARD MEMBER AND EXECUTIVE ASSISTANT REPORTS**

Ollie Garrett: I will be there Thursday for the hearing in the House.

David Postman: Okay, great. I was at Licensing's division meeting this morning. It was great. They spent some time talking about Black History Month. Tyrone Jordan-Oliver, who is the Chair of the statewide BUILD Group, and is a Licensing employee did a presentation on black history, the history of that month and how far back that goes, which was fascinating. And then he talked about what BUILD is doing. And you should check it out. There are two upcoming BUILD events left. One this Friday at UW Tacoma and then one right at the end of the month, which I don't know where it is, but there is information there. So I would have you take a look at that.

And also to your point, Rick, they got a legislative report from Caitlyn, and the amount of work they do -- and every division has it, but Licensing, so much of this is in their realm. And I think they did something like 40 fiscal notes or something like that, which is even hard to imagine, but an incredible amount of work they are doing, as well, to keep up on this. So it was really good to hear and see that. So I appreciate them inviting me to sit in on that this morning. And then Rick came and talked to them as well, which was very well-received. They enjoyed that. I think they thought maybe it was kind of their goodbye moment with you, Rick. They had the slideshow and everything ready. But Rick told them not to rush it. So thanks to the Licensing folks for having me in. With that, we will adjourn the Caucus Meeting, and we will be back tomorrow for a Board Meeting. So see you all then. Have a good day.

---

Meeting adjourned at 11:14 am.

Minutes approved this 15th day of January 2025



---

Jim Vollendroff  
Board Chair



---

Ollie Garrett  
Board Member

Minutes Prepared by: Deborah Soper, Administrative Assistant to the Board

*Complete meeting packets are available online: [http://lcb.wa.gov/boardmeetings/board\\_meetings](http://lcb.wa.gov/boardmeetings/board_meetings)  
For questions about agendas or meeting materials you may email [gretchen.frost@lcb.wa.gov](mailto:gretchen.frost@lcb.wa.gov) or call 360.664.1656*

**LCB Mission** - Promote public safety, public health, and trust through fair administration, education, and enforcement of liquor, cannabis, tobacco, and vapor laws.